6 actions to take as runners to do your part
March is Nutrition Month and this year’s theme invites us to choose ingredients that will contribute to building a healthier future. The goal is to reduce food waste, reduce over-packaging and choose foods from sustainable systems.
What does running have to do with it?
As runners, our choices also have an impact on our environment. Think about the packaging of gels, jujubes, purees that are often not biodegradable or recyclable. And think about the number of cups you find on the ground at running events. From now on, we can also take action to offer a healthier future to future generations.
So here are six tips for doing your part:
- Prepare your own sports gels
- Buy the largest gel packages that contain multiple servings (shampoo bottle style) and a 4oz (125ml) reusable plastic bottle. Fill it up every time you go out instead of buying the individual sizes.
- Instead of buying single-use sports drink bottles, make your own! We’re willing to bet you have countless reusable bottles hidden in your cabinets. Use this recipe
- Buy local: many Québec companies specialize in sports products. You will certainly save on shipping costs, in addition to reducing the environmental impact of shipping.
- Replace over-packaged sports jujubes with real food. For example, dried fruit makes great natural jujubes. Replace 1 gel with 3-4 dried dates and you’re done!
- Get a reusable cup instead of using a paper cup at events where you can fill it yourself. These fold up and fit easily into your running belt. Here’s an example
Psstttt…for those who registered for one of the races, we are offering a 10% discount on the purchase of a nutritional evaluation with us by mentioning the promo code: MBDM10. Contact us at 514-287-7272 or email@example.com or buy it on our online store